Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Robson relishing Li Na clash

Laura Robson admits she is expecting a tough third-round rematch with Li Na at the US Open following her impressive victory over fellow teenager Caroline Garcia.

Twelve months ago Robson followed up her defeat of Kim Clijsters by beating former French Open champion Li to reach the fourth round of a grand slam for the first time.
"It's definitely going to be a really tough match. She's playing super well at the moment. I watched a bit of her match this morning and I thought she played really well."
Laura Robson on Li Na
Rain held up Robson and Frenchwoman Garcia for almost five hours but the 19-year-old produced a very
composed display to win 6-4 7-6 (5), saving two set points in the second set.
And after her match on Court 11, the 30th seed told Sky Sports: "It's definitely going to be a really tough match (against Li). She's playing super well at the moment. I watched a bit of her match this morning and I thought she played really well.
"I'll have a talk with (coach) Miles (Maclagan) tonight and see what we can do."
Robson was pleased with her performance against Garcia, despite having to call her trainer for a niggling wrist injury which recently forced her to pull out of the Rogers Cup.
She took some painkillers and had her right wrist retaped, but was keen to play down the issue after the match.
"I wasn't going for every shot as hard as I could in this match. I don't think that would have been wise at all because she's such a solid player from the baseline.
"I knew that I just had to wait for my chance in the rally and force her to make a mistake rather than going for the winner.
"I thought my serve was really good today and hit quite a few aces which always helps, but I was really happy with my second serve so it was really tough for her to break me.
"Basically, I felt that I needed a bit more protection with the tape (for her wrist) so I called the trainer, so no big deal."

0 comments:

Post a Comment